Thursday, January 5, 2012

Day 5 - Sigur Rós and fireworks

I'll be honest - today hasn't been a great day.

It all started when a friend of mine shared with me how he had recently discovered that a colleague of his (who was married with 3 children), had a mistress. I'll refer to his colleague as B, for Bastard, of course. So my friend relayed to me how he wasn't sure what to think or how to react when he found out, as he never would have suspected B to be someone who'd have a mistress on the side. B was always helpful, always had his back, and was generally a great guy all-around. As I listened to my friend recall how B would go over to his mistress' place and stay over at least once a fortnight, while his wife was under the impression that he was at a friend's place with the boys, my blood boiled.

Cheating husbands really, really piss me off like nothing else. Perhaps I was a scorned wife of a husband with a mistress in my previous life?!

But yes, I know, it takes two to clap. For every cheating bastard man out there, there is a woman who is willing to enable that to happen. In B's case, the woman was his first girlfriend, whom was also his first love. She was previously married, and has children of her own as well.

Which led me to feel equally infuriated and puzzled. You see, it's always been such a mystery to me how people can cheat and do it so well, especially when they know they could so easily lose everything they had in a heartbeat. It will probably remain as something I'll never be able to understand.

The rest of the day didn't get much better either. One look at the news and it was largely all doom and gloom - there were redundancies at Hewlett-Packard, Heinz and OneSteel; Kodak was preparing for bankruptcy; a 15-year-old boy who was armed with a gun in school was shot dead by police when he aimed his gun at them; a koala who was shot by an air rifle seven times died mid-operation, a 9-month-old drowned in a bathtub.... really, how can anyone not read the news these days and not be depressed?!

I was on my way home when my iPod started to play Sigur Rós - Ágætis Byrjun on random. A wave of calmness started to wash over me as the ethereal melody filled my ears. By 4:13, which is my favourite part of the song, I was in a dreamlike state of zen and had a big smile on my face.

I'm so thankful to have ears that can hear such beautiful music.




And then I watched this. To say I was completely blown away by the INSANE show of fireworks is a massive understatement.



I'm so thankful to have eyes that can see - no matter how shocking my short-sightedness is, at least my eyes work and I'm able to witness and appreciate this extraordinary world that we live in.

It's all going to be okay.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...